Legacy - C9 EU Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ranger!

3 posters

Go down

Ranger! Empty Ranger!

Post by Notch Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 am

Hi guys.

I was in search of any guide of this class and found something. Tell me what u think.

The ranger class is a ranged based class that specialize in attacks using bows. Here are a list of things this guide will cover

Abilities overview
Ability name Type Req levelUpgrades
Aim Evade Command 20
Aimed Shot Action 20 23, 36, 39, 32, 35, 38, 41, 44, 47, 50 w/ 7 SP per upgrade
Lighting Shot Action 20 23, 36, 39, 32, 35, 38, 41, 44, 47, 50 w/ 5 SP per upgrade
Fast Arrow Passive 20 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50 w/ 6 SP per upgrade
Aim stance Action 22 27, 32, 37, 42, 47 w/ 5 SP per upgrade
Freezing Shot Action 25 28, 31, 34, 37, 40, 43, 46, 49 w/ 6 SP per upgrade
Grenade Shot Command 2730, 33, 36, 39, 42, 45, 48 w/ 6 SP per upgrade
Power Drill Shot Action 28 31, 34, 37, 40, 43, 46, 49 w/ 6 SP per upgrade
Moving AimPassive 28 32, 36, 40, 44, 48 w/ 3 SP per upgrade
First Aid Action 30 34, 38, 42, 46, 50 w/ 4 SP per upgrade
Precise AimAction 32 36, 40, 44, 48 w/ 5 SP per upgrade
Jump Multi-Shot Command 32
Arrow ShowerAction 35 38, 41, 44, 47, 50 w/ 7 SP per upgrade
Dashing Aim Command 35
Attack Mastery II Passive 35 37, 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49 w/ 5 SP per upgrade
Bow Tactician II Command 35 37, 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49 w/ 6 SP per upgrade
Replay Shot I Command 35
Aimed PiercingPassive 40
Speed Chain
Shot
Action 4548 w/ 7 SP per upgrade
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide01_580
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide02_580
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide03

Comprehensive abilities discussion

Aimed shot: This ability, available at level 20, is one of the best ranger abilities that does an insane amount of damage and can knock your target(s) back. It can be also used with Replay Shot I to enable you to use two aimed shots back to back for maximum damage. The only downside to this ability is the long cooldown time (1 minute). It also takes 2 skillstones to use. Definitely max rank this - it is good for both single target and versus multiple mobs.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide04
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide05
Lightning Shot: This is will be used as one of your two standard primary attacks other than the basic bow shot. It has a low cooldown (10 seconds) and can deal some nice damage to small group of enemies. Has a very short wind up animation.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide06
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide07
Aim Evade: This skill is quite useful and doesn't cost much SP at all. What it allow you to do essentially is to dodge enemy attacks while you have a skill readied for firing. This is very nice in situations where you have a large swarm of mobs which can interrupt your attacks if they get too close. Press shift + movement key when you have a skill readied for firing. This skill has no upgrades.

Fast Arrow: This is a passive skill that speed up the time it takes to prepare your arrow attacks/abilities. With the bow, when you press an ability, there is a small delay while the ability is prepared before you can aim and shoot. This skill essentially reduces the preparation time by 35% at the max rank and is definitely one to max rank.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide09
Aim Stance: This is stance for the ranger where you crouch down and immobilzed but can use some of your most powerful attacks at a faster rate with enhanced damage. This is ideal in group situations where you don't have a lot of mobs beating on you as you are cannot move while this ability is active and can take quite a lot of damage from nearby mobs if they have you surrounded. I do not find this stance too useful in soloing situations.
Bomber Shot, Freezing Shot, Aimed Shot and Speed Chain Shot can be used in this stance.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide10
Freezing Shot: This is an ability I like to pair up with Bomber shot. They are both on a 20 second cooldown - freezing shot can freeze the mobs in its path, giving you time to get off another attack or move away. It is very effective against small to medium sized group of enemies but you will find it lacking for large groups.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide11
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide12
Grenade Shot: This is useful ability for knocking enemies down and away from you so that you can fire out another ability. The max rank doesn't do a lot of extra damage so you can simply purchase the first rank if you are short on SP points.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide13
Power Drill Shot: This is the other primary attack abilities I use along with Lightning Shot for small to medium group of enemies and also on boss fights. It has a short cooldown as well - only 12 seconds and does decent damage. I recommend max ranking this as well.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide14
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide15
Moving Aim: Moving aim does exactly what you think it does - it give you a movement speed bonus while aiming for targets with your various skills. I don't find it too useful for PvE except for boss fights as mobs have a predictable pathing and if you jog a far away from them you really need to move around while aiming. Max rank give you +30 movement speed.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide16
First Aid: First aid is a tiny self heal that also give you a small cooldown reduction for your skills. The HP restoration is very small - only 15 HP per second at min rank for 30 seconds and 20 HP per second at max rank for 40 seconds. Max rank will grant you 8% reduction in skill cooldowns- which still doesn't worth the SP investment in upgrading. I would get the minimum rank at least for a small heal and cooldown reduction.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide17
Precise Aim: Precise aim is pretty nifty. It give you increased ranged on your skills and increase your critical chance for 60 seconds. What is more, the cooldown on this ability is only 80 seconds and doesn't cost any skillstones to cast. Technically you can maintain this on yourself about 3/4 of the time. Can't say no to that! It is one of those abilities I would upgrade to max rank but if you are short on SP at least get the min rank!
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide18
Jump Multishot: Fairly useless ability - Multishot doesn't do a lot of damage so I didn't even bother to learn it, much less using multishot while jumping.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide19
Arrow Shower: This is your mega AoE ability - it is pretty awesome but too bad you only get it at level 35! Max rank it!
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide20
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide21
Dashing aim: Allow you to dash to avoid attacks while aiming your shots/skills and it only costs 3 SP points - kind of a no brainer!
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide21b
Attack Mastery II and Bow Tactician II: Both are passives that increase your damage - attack mastery II affects your basic melee attack (left mouse click) and bow tactician II increases your basic bow attack (right mouse click). I do find myself using these two a lot of finish off enemies so these skills are something you might consider. The benefits on upgrading Bow Tactician II isn't that big so if you are short on spare SP points then consider picking up the minimal rank. You will need rank 1 of Bow Tactician II for Replay Shot, which is very useful!
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide22
Replay Shot: This is one of my favourite abilities and it works on skills you commonly use: Bomber Shot, Freezing Shot, Multi-Sot, Lightning Shot, Aimed Shot, and Power Drilled Shot. Basically, it allow you to use two of the same skills back to back immediately after each other. All you need to do is to right click after you release a shot and it will automatically trigger. Aimed shot didn't work too well with replay shot for me personally as the large knockback from aimed shot make the 2nd aimed shot much weaker but all the other abilities worked out great.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide23
Aimed Piercing: Makes your Aimed Shot pierces through enemy's armor - useful for boss fights but does come at a hefty cost - 15 SP.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide24
Speed Chain Shot: This ability allows you to fire off 5 powerful shots in rapid succession, handy in pretty much all environments - even boss fights!

The upgrade to max rank (rank 2), doesn't provide too much extra benefits so can be skipped.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide25
Beware that when used against enemies that are not knocked back, they can still beat on you while you are firing off these 5 shots.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide26

Point Allocation up to level 50
The pre-level 20 abilities I recommend picking up and max rank are Bomber Shot, Charged Arrow, Bow Tactician, and Critical Increase. Max HP increase and Max Mp increase are nice abilities but there is no need to max them - I generally do pick up a few points in Max MP increase as the ranger doesn't have any other talents that reduce MP usage or help regen MP.

Multishot is pretty useful at low levels but the damage doesn't scale as well at high ranks compared to other abilities. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a quick spammable ability in addition to Lighting Shot, this might be one to keep.

In terms of post 20 skills, definitely max rank Lightning Shot, Freezing Shot, Power Drill shot, Arrow Shower, Precise Aim, Aimed Shot, Dashing Aim, and Fast Arrow.

Useful abilities to pick up but not necessarily max rank are, Speed Chain Shot, Grenade Shot and Bow Tactician II, and Moving Aim.

Some abilities you may or may not find useful depending on your playstyle are Aim Stance, First Aid, Aim Piercing, Attack Mastery I and II, and Physical Mastery I.

Here is my personal point allocation at 50 - which may or may not work for you.
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide27_580
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide28_580
Ranger! 20120223_ranger_guide29
Gameplay
The three attacks I most frequently use are Multi-Shot, Lighting Shot and Power Drill Shot. Both of them have short cooldowns, making their frequent usage optimal. Power Drill Shot does consume a skillstone per usage. Freezing Shot and Bomber Shot are my next used abilities - especially against small group or enemies or to "soften" up a bigger group of enemies before I send in some more powerful attacks. Grenade shot is nice to use to knock some enemies back to give you some room while preparing for another ability.

Aimed Shot and Speed Chain Shot are my heavy hitters - used against a large group of enemies for maximum damage or used on boss fights when I get a good opportunity. Both of them consume 2-3 skillstones.

Arrow Shower is my mega AoE ability - reserved for large pack of enemies or some rare occasions on some boss fights where I need to deal with the adds quickly.

Of the two basic attacks you can activate with your left (melee) and right (bow) mouse buttons, I like to use them to finish off enemies that are still standing, especially the Charged Arrow which you can charge up by holding down the right mouse button.

For the Replay Shot ability, I like to pair it up with Power Drill Shot but other abilities will work out decently as well (except maybe Aimed Shot).

Precise aim is something I activate whenever it is off its cooldown - the additional range and critical chance are nice to have. First Aid is situational - nice in some fights where you need to regen some health on the move and don't want to waste the HP potions.

Here are some compiled gameplay videos of my showing you some of the abilities/gameplay style of a ranger at level 50, enjoy!

(c)
afro Here

Last edited by Notch on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

https://twitter.com/nooneartist

Back to top Go down

Ranger! Empty Re: Ranger!

Post by Ancair Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:03 am

Wow thats quite nice O,o thx Very Happy
Ancair
Ancair
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aweryn Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Pretty comprehensive Very Happy I might try ranger out as they seem so good in pvp xD
Aweryn
Aweryn
Admin

https://legacy-eu.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Yea, me too. 1 lvl left Smile
Notch
Notch

https://twitter.com/nooneartist

Back to top Go down